I am loving all of the small business/marketing questions that I’ve been receiving and I hope you all keep them coming! I recently had a question from Don J. in Los Angeles, CA. Don is a brand new entrepreneur looking to start his own business for the first time. I am so excited for Don and I am looking forward to giving him some “Ask Amanda” advice!
To get started, here is Don’s question:
“I am just in the beginning stages of creating my own business revolved around window cleaning in the Los Angeles area. I am hoping to target more commercial customers, though I won’t be picky and say no to residential inquiries. My question is, how do I get set up on social media and is it really that important? I don’t have a lot of time to spend online.”
What a great question, Don, and what an exciting time for you! I look forward to hearing more about your business and its progress in the future. I’m going to answer your question in reverse order of how it was asked, because I was to emphasize that YES, it is absolutely really that important. Social media is necessary for businesses in today’s world. That’s because billions of people are using social media, and the internet is the top (and sometimes only) way that people find the businesses they want to use for all of their needs. Don’t skip out on utilizing all aspects of the online world, as much as possible. The easiest way to do this is to jump on as many social media outlets as you can: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Google Plus, etc. Make your profiles on all of these platforms as complete and informative as possible. Here are some tips for creating these profiles:
- Keep updated and correct business information including name, address, phone number and hours
- Keep updated pictures on the profiles. Show off your awesome work and make sure the pictures don’t look like they were taken in the 80’s!
- Post once per week, if possible. I know you mentioned that you are really busy, and I get it. However, social media platforms are very beneficial to your business and if you can keep up with the posting, it will really help you out in the long run. Posting once per week is the sweet spot between staying relevant and not becoming annoying to your followers. Your posts don’t have to be long and time consuming, just a quick photo or update would be great!
- Inform your followers of any current specials or discounts you are running. Let them know that you have great deals so they feel more inclined to utilize your business
- Respond to your followers. If someone sends you a message through Facebook, or Tweets to you, don’t be shy! Give them a quick response and get right to the point.
Social media really doesn’t need to be very time consuming, and it is free advertising. If you need help setting up your social pages, or keeping them up-to-date, let us at FreshLime know! We’re here to help.
Best of luck to you, Don. I am excited about your window washing business and look forward to more questions from you in the future!
To have your own question answered by Amanda, email firstname.lastname@example.org – we will respond within 24 hours and let you know when your answer will be posted!