Get this: the probability of selling to an existing customer is approximately 60 – 70 percent, while the probability of selling to a new prospect is somewhere in the 5 – 20 percent range.
Even though you need new business to grow, don’t ignore your current customer base with hopes that they’ll remain loyal.
Regardless of your industry, here are three simple ways to keep your current customers coming back to your business:
1. Class Leading Customer Service
Your customers want to feel wanted, and you’re just the right person for the job.
When your customer service is better than the competition, you’ll always have a leg up. Not to mention the fact that your customers will place their trust in you – and that goes a long way in maintaining their loyalty.
Top-notch customer service means many things, including but not limited to:
- Living up to the mantra “the customer always comes first”
- Offering multiple forms of communication, such as phone, email, live chat, and social media
- Providing fast service (never put a customer off in hopes that they’ll go away)
- Working to resolve a problem until the customer is happy
Don’t go through the motions when it comes to customer service. Make sure your entire team is on board with the idea of leading your industry in this area.
2. Stay in Touch
In the business world, “out of sight, out of mind” comes into play all too often.
With so many ways to stay in touch with customers, there’s no excuse for neglecting to do so. Consider the following:
- Send a weekly or monthly mailer or email newsletter
- Make random calls, when applicable, to check in on past customers
- Engage with your audience on social media, such as by answering questions and providing industry specific advice
When you remain fresh in a customer’s mind, they’re more likely to contact you in the future.
3. Offer a Deal
Everyone likes a good deal, and offering these from time to time is a great way to keep your customers loyal.
Experiment with one or more of these ideas:
- Mail a coupon to past customers to show your appreciation
- Share a coupon or discount code during the holidays as a gift
- Regularly publish deals to your website and social media platforms
When someone can save money with a company they already trust, they’re likely to do so. You simply need to get these deals in front of the right people at the right time.
For more insights on marketing strategy that actually works for small business, connect with Jay Bean, Founder of FreshLime and Small Business Marketing Expert on LinkedIn and Twitter. If any of these tips have helped you or if you have anything to add, please comment below. We’d love to hear from you!
3300 Ashton Blvd Suite 210, Lehi, UT 84043, United States
Lehi, UT 84043